Setting up and using Pivot Interactives is quick and easy. It won't take long for you to get classes created and get your students working on interactive lab activities.
Here are links to common questions and tasks:
- Find activities in the Pivot Interactive Libraries
- Activating Seats (bulk purchases only)
- Create a Class, Assign an Activity, Invite Students
- Editing activities
- Configure with your LMS (Canvas, Blackboard, D2L, Google Classroom)
- Complete Student Instructions for using Pivot Interactives
- Using Pivot Player
- Using the Data Table and Graphing Tool
- Pivot Interactives Webinar Series
- Complete Student Instructions
Use the search tool above to find answers to other questions. Or, you can follow the process below to get started.
Step 0: Sign up for a free trial, or purchase access.
Once you've created an account and logged in, you can begin to set things up for your courses.
Step 1: Explore the Pivot Interactives Library
Let's start by exploring the Pivot Interactives Library to find ready-made activities you can use with your students.
- From the Libraries menu at the top of the page select Pivot Interactives Library:
- From this page you can search for a topic or specific video using the search tool.
- You can also filter by subject, curriculum or standards like NGSS and AP, or by activity type.
- When you find an activity, click Preview or click the thumbnail image.
Step 2. Preview an Activity
Here's an example of what you'll see when you open the activity "Hill Runner (Jessie Diggins)". You can find it clicking search for "One-Dimensional Kinematics."
- Our activities come with pre-written instructions for students. They can be used as-is or modified. (Instructions on how to modify activities are in Part 4 below).
- Select the question mark (?) in the upper left of the video player frame (which was formerly an "i") to find information and hints about the video.
- The interactive tools needed to analyze a video can be found by selecting the tool icon in the upper-right of the video frame. In the screenshot below, there are three tools. A stopwatch, a ruler, and a protractor.
- Clicking the ruler icon places this tool in the video frame.
- The ruler can be moved by clicking and dragging, or rotated by dragging the any of the circular handles at the midpoint of any edge.
- Many of our videos allow the user to change parameters in the video. In the activity shown below, users can select whether Olympic Gold medalist Jessie Diggins carries a backpack or not.
- In this activity users can also select between real time (30 frames/sec) and 8x slow-motion.
- Be sure to hit GO. The new video won't load until GO is selected.
When you open an activity in preview mode you can not type in the text boxes. You can type in the data tables and create graphs. However, when you assign the activity, your students will be able complete the tables and answer the questions.
Detailed instructions on how to use the data table and graphing tools can be found here.
3. Add an activity to My Library
When you find an activity that you'd like to use or modify:
- Go back to the Pivot Interactives Library
- Select Add to My Library
- Open up your My Library by selecting it on the top toolbar.
4. Open the activity Editor (OPTIONAL)
- When you enter My Library ...
- the activity that you just added will appear.
- If you have trouble finding it, select Find Activities and click Sort by Recent
- f you would like to modify that activity select Edit
Please note that activities can only be edited from your **My Library**. There is a more detailed section about How to Use the Activity Editor below.
1) Select My Classes on the top toolbar
2) Create a new class....
3) ...by giving it a descriptive name.
4) After creating the course make a note of the Class Key. Your students will need the class key to find your course.
5) Selecting Assign an Activity will allow you to select the activity that you'd like to assign. Please note that the list of activities that you can choose from only includes activities that are in My Library not in the Pivot Interactivas Library.
6) The activity that you selected will appear on the list, but it is not yet available to students.
7) To make the activity available to students select Accept Responses.
8) If you'd like to remove an assignment from the list simply Archive it. It won't delete it totally and you'll be able to "Show Archived Assignments" in the future. You must **Stop Accepting* responses before you can archive an activity.
6. Have your students create accounts.
Direct your students to www.pivotinteractives.com. And have them select Join a Class.
1) Students will then be asked for the Class Key that was assigned to you when you created the course. To find the key, simply select the My Classes tab at the top of the page and find the corresponding class.
2) Students should then fill out the rest of the form....
3) ...and then select Create Account. Students will then be able to see and complete any activities that you have assigned.
7. Open the Grading Tool
1) Select My Classes from the top toolbar
2) Select the class that you'd like to grade
3) Find the name of the activity that you'd like to grade
4) Selecting Stop Responses will prevent students from updating their work on the activity
5) Open the grading tool by selecting Grade (more on grading below)
6) When you're done grading, you can view, enter, or change individual student scores by selecting View Scores
8. Select Items to Grade
1) The grading tool is designed to allow instructors to easily grade several questions at a time.
2) If you'd like to grade your student's Data Table and Graph....
3) ....select the corresponding check box.
4) If you'd like to grade the Open Ended Question...
5) ...select the corresponding check box
6) When you're happy with your selections push the "Grade Questions" button at the bottom of the page.
9) How to use the Activity Editor (OPTIONAL)
Once in the editor, you can freely modify existing text to match your vocabulary, style, and priorities. Remember to hit the "Save" button at the bottom of the page.
It is also possible to make larger and more fundamental changes to the activity.
1) To create an entirely new section, select "Add Section"
2) To delete an existing section, select "Delete Section"
3) It's also possible to create components within each section including the following:
- General Notes General Notes when published will be offset by a golden bar
- General Instructions General Instructions when published will be part of a numbered list. General Instructions have two fields, one labeled "Instruction" (which will be seen by everyone) and one labeled "Instruction Notes" which will be seen only by instructors who select "I want too..." and then "Show answers and notes" at the top of a published activity.
- Data Table & Graph
- Data Table
- Select One Question A multiple choice question with only one correct answer
- Select Any Question A multiple choice question with any number of correct answers
- Open Ended Question An open ended question includes a text box so that students can type a response.
- Video Instance In order to add a Video Instance it's necessary to know the name of the video instance you'd like to add. In order to find the name of a video instance, find an existing activity that already uses the instance. Then add it to "My Library", then open it up in the activity editor, then look at the name of the video instance that you'd like to use.
- Yes/No Question A multiple choice question where the options are Yes or No
Once you've finished editing the activity, hit the Save button or the Save and Close button at the bottom of the editing page.